Magnet Warnings

WARNING – Read Before Use

Platinum Tool’s Pot Magnets (MAG420) have a magnetic core made with neodymium, which is sunk in a steel pot in order to intensify the adhesive force of the magnet. That is why they are called “pot” magnets. They have a nominal breakaway strength of 90 pounds set by the factory. However, there are many factors that can influence the breakaway load, such as the composition and thickness of the base metal, the direction of the load – whether mostly tension or shear, any coating on the base metal, the finish of the base metal, and anything that effects the coefficient of friction between the magnet and the base metal. Therefore, each new application should be tested by setting the magnet and then giving it a tug to ensure that the breakaway strength is sufficient for the application. Before using a magnet, please refer to the warnings below.

Danger – Swallowing 

Children can swallow small magnets.  If several magnets are swallowed, they can become lodged in the intestines and cause major complications, including life-threatening injuries that could require surgery. Keep all magnets out of the reach of children. If magnets are within the reach of children, the children should be supervised at all times to ensure they do not swallow a magnet. If a child has ingested a magnet, seek immediate medical attention.

Danger – Electrical Conductivity 

Magnets are made of metal and can conduct electricity.  If placed into a power outlet, magnets can cause electrical shock and possible electrocution. If magnets are within the reach of children, the children should be supervised at all times to ensure they do not place a magnet in a power outlet. In addition, magnets should not be installed in potentially explosive environments because they could cause sparking.

Warning – Contusions, Crushing, Blood Blisters, Cuts 

Magnets can have a strong amount of power if brought close enough together. Unsafe handling, such as putting two large magnets too close to each other, can result in the jamming of fingers or skin between magnets, leading to bruises, crush injuries, blood blisters or cuts. Wear heavy protective gloves when handling magnets and always handle with care.

Warning – Injuries Caused by Breaking or Chipping of Magnets 

Magnets are brittle and can peel, chip, crack or shatter if they are allowed to slam together. If magnets are shattered, they can send small sharp metal pieces into the air at high speeds. Eye protection is recommended. Treat any broken piece of magnet with care.

Warning – Pacemakers 

Magnets can affect the functioning of pacemakers and implanted heart defibrillators because many of these devices have a feature that deactivates the device in a magnetic field. If you have one of these devices, leave a sufficient amount of distance between a magnet and your device. The American Heart Association recommends a distance of at least 6 inches, but we recommend that you consult your physician or another reliable resource to determine a safe distance between where your device is implanted and the magnet based on the magnet size and strength. Warn any other persons who have a pacemaker or implanted heart defibrillator who will be around the magnets.


Cancer and Reproductive Harm –

Warning – Falling Objects 

If the magnet is supporting a load that is too heavy, if the magnet has become fatigued, or if there is a material defect, magnets may fail, causing the magnetic hook to loosen from the surface to which it was attached. Falling objects can lead to injuries, some of which may be serious. Do not use magnets in areas where people could sustain injuries from falling objects. Keep in mind that the indicated adhesive force applies only to ideal conditions.

Caution – Cutting or Drilling Magnets 

Avoid drilling or machining magnets. The material that is generated can become flammable when converted into a dust or a powder.

Caution – Magnetic Field 

These magnets produce a far-reaching, strong magnetic field. The magnetic field can damage magnetic media like floppy disks, credit cards, magnetic ID card cases, cassette tapes, video tapes, older televisions, VCRs, computer monitors, mechanical watches, hearing aids, and speakers. Strong neodymium magnets can also demagnetize ferrite magnets.  Keep magnets away from devices and other objects that could be damaged by the strong magnetic field.

Caution – Nickel Allergies 

These magnets contain nickel. If you have an allergic reaction to nickel, either avoid contact with these magnets or wear gloves when handling these magnets.

Caution – Shipment Concerns 

Magnetic fields can influence airplane navigation devices and postal sorting machines. Consult the International Air Transport Association’s Dangerous Goods Regulations, the Federal Aviation Association’s regulations, and the United States Postal Service instructions whenever shipping magnets to ensure that the package meets all shipping requirements.

Notice – Magnet Storage 

Magnets should be stored at a temperature at or below 80º Celsius. If magnets are stored at a very high temperature, they can become demagnetized. Magnets can also corrode and lose magnetic strength if exposed to moisture. It is recommended that magnets are not used underwater or outdoors in a moist environment.

Notice – Unknown Influence on People 

Based on current research, magnetic fields do not have a measureable positive or negative influence on people. While it is unlikely that exposure to magnets may constitute a health risk, it cannot be ruled out entirely. Avoid constant contact with magnets.